PublicationsDevelopment and validation of a universal blood donor genotyping platform: a multinational prospective study
In our first publication we report on the development and initial evaluation of the Applied Biosystems™ Axiom™ UK Biobank_v2 (UKBB_v2) DNA genotyping array for antigen genotyping of donor and patients.
In this study we:
- Designed a DNA genotyping array capable of typing almost all known Red Cell (HEA), Platelet (HPA), and Leukocyte (HLA) antigens
- Evaluated our array using DNA samples from 7,984 blood donors from England and the Netherlands
- Compared inferred antigen genotyping results to those on donor record
Our results showed:
- 99.9% concordance in 101,676 comparisons between our antigen genotypes and previous typing results
- Genotyping increased the total number of antigen typing results available from 110,980 to >1,200,000
- Dense typing results greatly simplifies the challenge of finding compatible blood for complex patients
You can read the full publication here: Gleadall, et al., Development and validation of a universal blood donor genotyping platform: a multinational prospective study. Blood Advances, 2020.